Thursday, February 5, 2009

Reaction to Class 2/3

From the perspective of an avid scrabble player, I enjoyed the exercise of word finishing at the beginning of class. I liked the discussion of what 'creative' means. Creativity has always been an interesting concept to me. In today's educational environment, almost nothing is placed before creativity. It seems to me that this emphasis on creativity causes a lot of bad creativity.

While creativity is completely subjective, and my characterization of other people's work as 'bad,' is pretty inappropriate, I'll stick with it. I think that creativity has been commodified in a lot of ways by the Hobby Lobbies and Jo-Anns Crafts stores of the world. There are thousands of examples of creativity as commodity in these places, but I think I'll go with the scrapbooking phenomenon. This is the classic case of selling a creative endeavor to the masses. It is a minimally creative activity, in which people combine prefabricated elements with their own photos and memorabilia to 'create' a scrapbook. I think it isn't terribly creative.

I should leave the frustrated housewives of the world alone though, and quit invalidating people's creative outlets. Live and let live, I guess. Their output is good for them, and I don't have to look at it, so I'll leave them be.

No comments:

Post a Comment