Monday, February 9, 2009

Deaf Percussion Jam

I'll blog with the caveat that I have a real problem with improvised music. I could make a big fuss and argument about what music is, and what makes it music, but I'm not going to. It's a tired argument, and it's so subjective that there's no sense in even discussing it. It's like religion. No one is going to convince a convicted person of anything.

I will say I enjoyed the movie. And I was very happy to hear melodic lines emerging at the end of the part we saw. The marimba and the guitar came together in something very musical. I do think that Evelyn is a very talented musician. Extraordinarily talented, to be able to overcome a disability that significantly impairs the fundamental experience of music. It's interesting that she feels her hearing impairment expands her concept of music. Again, I'm not going to get into a technical definition of what I think music is, but I see Evelyn as blending music and sound, rather than making pure music. Some of what she is doing is music, some is an exploration of sound textures. She combines them into what I'll call her schtick. Schtick is non-judgemental by the way. I'm not negatively judging her work. She can do whatever she wants, it's just of no interest to me.

I'll admit that I have a very narrow conception of what makes for good music. I also make no apologies for having very narrow tastes when it comes to music.

No comments:

Post a Comment