Monday, March 9, 2009

50 Qs, Take 2

My final project idea was not really clearly stated, largely because I don't yet have a clear idea about what I want to do. I want to tell a story in video, using only the sound effects and music in concert with video to tell the story, without resorting to any dialog. So on that pretty nebulous structure, I will cast my net of what if questions, and see what filters out.

what if the Main Character (MC) could hear sounds other people can't?
what if MC heard things differently?
what if MC heard dog whistles?
what if MC heard plant sounds?
what if MC could hear plants being cut down or picked (stolen from R. Dahl)?
what if MC's voice made instrument sounds?
what if MC's body made different sounds as he moved through the scene?
what if actions and sounds were completely mismatched?
what if this were a really simple story?
what if MC had to interact with other characters?

what if they had to communicate through instrument or sfx sounds?
what if the music wasn't a 'song' per se?
what if the music were all instrument sounds in place of regular foley?
what if this ended up as crappy as the dogs barking jingle bells stuff?
what if it was really cool?
what if it started when the guy woke up, and followed him through his day through sound?
what if he became synchronized with others during his day?
what if santa claus got involved?
what if it were stop animation?
what if the project didn't require any actors?

what if it was stop motion with actors?
what if the characters were toys?
what if I planned it out frame by frame, beat by beat?
-for example, at 100 bpm, in 15 fps animation, I would need the foot to hit the ground every nine frames to land on the beat.
what if this is far too complicated?
what if i ask my friends to act in this thing?
what if they're terrible?
what if i shot the models against the greenscreen?
what if i built a set, but composited in backgrounds?
what if i just did a stop animation story, and scrapped the whole audio specific idea?
what if these were two separate, and good ideas?
what if I sat on one for later?
what if I went for it, and tried to do it all?
what if I had time to actually do this well?
what if I stopped paying my bills, and became a bankrupt and went to debter's prison because I spent too much time on my homework?

Not quite 50, but it certainly has put some flesh on the project's bones. Too much, but that's good, for the moment.

2 comments:

  1. What if you can't find an effective way of conveying the story without any dialog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In that case, I'm a slave to literature. the view that video is a purely audio-visual medium demands that the maker not lean on the crutch of literary conventions such as words, dialog or narration. I think that theory is pretty much bullshit, and film/video works best when telling a story. It does feel elegant to me to tell as much of the story without exposition as I possibly can.

    ReplyDelete